Friday, November 14, 2008

Friday

Hi Everyone -
Happy Friday! I don't know about you, but I am super excited that the weekend is nearly here. On a sad note, my camera battery has died, and the camera charger has been MIA for a couple of weeks. I have ordered another one from Amazon, and it is on its way as we speak... so hopefully I will be able to get back to posting pictures soon!

Even without the pics, I figured I would post a couple of new things today. Today has been a day of new foods so far. This morning I got to work at 7:45 to get a bunch of stuff done, and on my way to my other office (by 9am) I decided to stop at Dunkin' Donuts because I had not had coffee or breakfast yet!

I was craving protein this morning, so I decided to be daring and try the new Dunkin Donuts egg white sandwich. Officially, the sandwich is called the Egg White Veggie Flatbread Sandwich (click to see the nutritional breakdown if you're interested!) and I have to say it was pretty good, and filling. They have another egg white option which is turkey sausage, as well - but I have not tried that one yet. I am impressed with the Dunkin Donut website now - they are noting their "healthier" options with a new logo which reads: "DDSmart". Watch out for sodium and cholesterol content, but for the most part the Smart choices are ok. The egg white sandwiches are a great addition to their menu (lower fat and cholesterol) and I was happy to make this breakfast choice today. The sandwich satisfied my need for protein with 11g! I also picked up a medium black coffee, and I added one tablespoon of light cream to it on my own.

For lunch I tried yet another new item! Last night at the grocery store I found Oikos yogurt and I was sooo excited! This is Stoneyfield's version of Greek Yogurt and I had been dying to try it out. I had never seen it in the stores in New England until last night, so I decided to try the honey on the bottom kind. I had it with my lunch today - and I have to say it was awesome. I loved the honey flavor!! It's a great option to have instead of fruit if you're not in the mood. I have been eating so many strawberry and blueberry Greek Yogurt combos lately, that I was excited for the change. This container was 120 calories, 0 grams of fat and 13 grams of protein! The only down side was that it was sort of pricey at Shaw's last night - $2.00 for one container! The Chobani at Stop and Shop is 4 for $5. I hope the prices go down a bit for Oikos.

In addition to my new found Greek yogurt love for lunch I enjoyed an Arnold's sandwich thin, one tablespoon of Teddy's peanut butter and baby carrots. It was extremely important to have the Greek yogurt to add more substance to my lunch, that's for sure. But all of it together was the perfect combo. Oh - I also had a "fun size" 3 Musketeer bar - which must be mentioned!

That about wraps up what I have had for food today - along with 36 ounces of water so far. I have an apple pie Larabar waiting for an afternoon snack if needed.

I hope everyone is having a great day! Lunch time is over, so it's back to work.

6 comments:

Kristin Marie said...

Heather-
today I went food shopping and there were 5 (!) versions of Larabar there.
thought I would share

nikkiO said...

Finally tried Greek yogurt! Yum! I found Oikos and Fage at Whole foods and only Oikos at the Safeway by my house. They're great! My dad asked me what the diff is between the two (reg & Greek) and I wasn't really sure how to respond except for the nutritional aspects. Nonetheless, thanks so much for introducing me!
xoxox

nikkiO said...

I can't find Zbars!

Heather said...

Nlo -
I guess the benifit of Greek Yogurt is that typically it has less sugar (carbs) and a ton more protein!

Heather said...

For Zbars - try Trader Joe's that is where I get mine. They are made by Cliff bar but they are smaller and have less calories - that's why I like them!

nikkiO said...

Thanks for the info Heather!