Saturday, November 8, 2008

Friday

Hi Everyone -
I don't know about you, but I am so glad that the weekend is finally here!

Yesterday I woke up and had a desire to get to work early so that I could leave a little earlier and get home to pack for New York. I ended up getting into the office at 7:55 and in order to do that, I skipped packing lunch and breakfast for myself...

For breakfast I thought I would try one of Rachel's yogurts. I'm not exactly sure what went on during this taste test - but it didn't go all that well. I had just brushed my teeth before leaving the house, and I was starving when I got to my desk. I opened up the Rachel vanilla chai and dug into it. It did not taste very good at all! The date on the yogurt was November 7.... and I was worried that perhaps the yogurt had already turned bad. I actually think it had a lot more to do with the fact that I had brushed my teeth. Ew. I threw the yogurt out, which was really sad. Instead I went down to the caf and bought an onion bagel. Ugh.

Lunch was a lot better than my breakfast failure. My colleague and I decided to walk down to the college caf that is on our "campus". They have a decent salad bar that is actually fairly priced! I was being really careful to not go over board on my salad selection, because I only had $7 with me. When I got to the check out, I was blown away by the fact that my salad only cost $3.75 - pretty amazing.

In the salad I had plain tuna (instead of the tuna salad they also had at the salad bar which looked like it had quite a bit of mayonnaise) chick peas, broccoli, carrots, cucumbers, lettuce, croutons, and "Mexican rice" (which had roasted red pepper, black beans and rice mixed together). I used a bit of balsamic vinegar as a dressing. The salad was great except for the cherry tomatoes I had added. I ate one, and the taste was not very good at all, so I did not eat the rest of them.

If I had known that the salad bar would be so affordable, I would have definitely made myself a bigger salad for lunch. I would have added more tuna for protein. (It's too bad the salad bar didn't have hard boiled eggs or egg whites as an option!) After eating the salad I did have, I was still hungry. Unfortunately, I splurged and gave into my baked goods craving... I saw the most amazing M&M cookie on my way out of the college caf - and I just had to have it!

At four in the afternoon, I was hungry again. What I really wanted was a latte from Starbucks. But since I was still at work, I opted for a peanut butter Kashi granola bar. I sort of love these things because they have a good amount of protein and fiber (4g fiber, 7g protein). They keep me full for a long time and there are only 140 calories per bar.


I left work at 4:30 to head home and pack for our weekend trip to New York. I don't know what I was thinking when I packed my clothes, but I realized today that I had nothing that made any sense! Ugh. Oh well. I'll be wandering around New York in my running shoes (that I never do anything other than run in), jeans and I'm not sure what else. A hodgepodge of things will be thrown together, no doubt.

Ok, I have to get going - so I'm going to hit "publish" for now. More later, I'm sure!

No comments: