Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election day - nervous eating!?


Oh my goodness - well, it's the day after the election and I am exhausted!! I was so stressed out yesterday that I was expending all of my energy hoping that everything would work, and when I finally heard that Obama had reached 270 - all of the stress left my body! I feel like all will once again been right in the world. Free Smiley Face Courtesy of www.FreeSmileys.org

I woke up super early on Tuesday, because I was so excited to start the day - and to get out the door to vote! But before I left to vote, I took the time to make my organic oatmeal - and decided to have breakfast at home. I made two servings (one for Wednesday!) and I used one cup of light vanilla soy milk, and 3/4 cup of water and one cup of oats. The new oatmeal took a little longer than I thought it might, but it was great and worth every moment it took to cook! I put a tablespoon of pumpkin butter, a bit of cinnamon, and a spoonful of almond butter on top of the oats. I had raisins, but forgot to add them!

I got out the door by 7:05 and went to vote. Even though I got to our polling place at 7:10 in the morning, ten minutes after the polls had opened, I stood in line for at least half an hour. It was the first time in my entire life I had to stand in line to vote! How exciting it was. It was the perfect start to a great day.

For lunch I had another Arnold's sandwich thin with Boar's Head buffalo chicken, baby spinach, garlic hummus, and mustard. I also had a snack bag of cheddar goldfish crackers. Yum! The lunch was really good.

Before I actually ate my lunch, I went for a 40 minute walk with two of my colleagues at work. It was such a beautiful day outside! It was in the upper sixties, and I was hot as we went on our "fast walk". It was a great way to get rid of some of my nervous energy!!

After lunch settled, I got back to work for a while. Soon enough, a couple of hours after lunch, I was hungry again. I decided to have the Macintosh apple that was left in my lunch bag. We had bought the apples a couple of weeks ago, but the apple was still fantastic! The perfect afternoon snack. My friend Mara was also hungry - and I introduced her to the Cliff Zbar. I gave her the blueberry one, and she liked it.

Shortly before I left to go home for the day, I ran into a special treat that my friend Jenny had brought to work. It was a pizza cookie! Something I had never heard of. I walked by our coffee pot, and saw this huge baked cookie... I stared at it for a minute, trying to figure out what exactly it was. Then I took the knife and cut myself a little piece to try. Wow, was it good. It was like a huge baked cookie (but really thin, like thin pizza crust) with chocolate frosting over it and lots of things sprinkled on top - including dark M&Ms and peanut butter chunks!! I had to go back upstairs to my office to retrieve my camera, because I thought this deserved a picture. Here it is:

I left work around 4:30, I think... I was soo nervous at that point! I could not wait to get home and see if there was any news being reported about voting, etc. But when I got home, it wasn't quite dark out so I decided to go for a walk in my neighborhood. I ended up walking down to the polling place again. I talked with some of the people holding signs, and by 5pm 60% of the people in our area had already voted! What a turn out - and the polls were still open for three more hours. My walk turned out to be over 20 minutes (one hour of cardio for the day) and it was dark when I got home.

I had to start preparing for the election night family get together. I had snacks from Trader Joe's. Lara was in charge of veggies and she brought an amazing onion dip that she made with plain Greek yogurt - it was awesome! My mom brought the main course - Chicken a la King - a family classic. Here is a picture of the spread we had (before the main course was brought out!) The four of us had so much fun watching the results come in.

Ben and I did not go to sleep until about 2:30 in the morning. Wow. I'm still exhausted just thinking about the long (and happy) day we had yesterday. I am going to bed super early tonight - in hopes to catch up on some sleep!

No comments: