Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Manic Monday... Part II - Evening Politics and Policy

Well, it seems that the country could be heading even more down the road to a financial crisis. Ugh, I’m completely shocked that the US House of Reps didn’t pass the Bailout Bill today! Is it just me? I’ve been watching news coverage and it seems like the average American might not want to bill to go through because they don’t want to “pay” for the mistakes made by Wall Street.

Maybe I am wrong, or maybe it’s my background in American History / Government coming back to haunt me. But it just freaks me out that we had a chance to fix the situation, and the GOP (and some Dems) let it slide by. It just seems so strange to me that the Republicans are all about lifting rules and regulations for how people on Wall Street and the average bank will operate – allowing predatory lending to take place, and then when all of the sh*t hits the fan, the Republicans want to just let everything fail and slide the country into another Great Depression!

Do they not realize what they are doing? Does the average American not realize how this credit crunch is going to affect them? Sure, I’m only 30 but I am officially afraid to look at my retirement statement right now… on Friday I was questioning if my money was safe in all three of the banks that I use… But on Friday afternoon I was resting assured that somehow our elected officials would solve the crisis by coming up with some sort of plan to save the financial world and our everyday society while they were at it. I sure hope that something happens soon, because I don’t know how much more the stock market or the average American can take – even if they don’t know it yet.

No comments: