Monday, September 29, 2008

Manic Monday... Part I

So today started off pretty normally. I had to drive to work because I had a 9am meeting with my boss at work, and couldn’t take a chance on the subway running late like it often does on Monday mornings. I got to work by 8am which I was super pleased about because it meant I could leave by 4:30 in the afternoon…

I was super pleased to be at work an hour before my meeting! I got right down to work, and as I started entering my meta data for the day, I had my breakfast. Today I ate a Peanut Butter Cookie Luna Bar. They aren’t bad for you – 180 calories, 6g Fat, 10 g Protein and a lot of vitamins and minerals (especially a good source of calcium).


I got pretty hungry around 11am this morning – but was able to wait until Noon for lunch. I heated up some low sodium Trader Joe’s tomato soup. I was happily surprised by how good it was! The consistency of the soup was thick and hearty for a plain tomato soup, and thankfully the sodium content wasn’t bad. That is something everyone should look at when they are eating soup… it’s easy to think that you’re being healthy when you’re having soup for lunch. But read your container carefully! Progresso or other leading soups can have 30% (or more) of your daily sodium allowance for the day per serving – but keep in mind a serving is only half of a can! A lot of people will eat an entire can of soup for lunch and not realizing they are having 2 or 2.5 servings of the soup in one sitting. Ugh. It’s always a good idea to look for a low fat, low sodium soup.

Well, to spice up my soup I added a small palm full of the Trader Joe’s Lite Mexican cheese blend. It will add a little flavor (not to mention a little more calcium and protein) to your lunch. I had eight TJ’s whole wheat crackers as well.

I went down to the lunch room to heat up my soup and eat my lunch in 15 minutes…. I know, horrible to rush when you’re eating food! But I wanted to make sure that I had time to go for a nice walk during lunch. After eating, I went back to my desk and worked a bit longer. At 12:45 I went outside for my walk, which lasted a half an hour. It’s great to get exercise during your work day!


After I got back from my walk, I enjoyed an amazing oatmeal chocolate chip cookie from one of my colleagues (no one knows who it was!) who thoughtfully brought in cookies to share by our coffee maker by the lunchroom. ☺ So nice to have a special treat on a Monday!

Even though it was a busy day, I was still able to leave at 4:45 and get ready for the gym.

No comments: